1. Controlled synthesis of nano-structured carbon materials and their catalytic fundamentals
2. SiC@C based catalytic materials towards applications
3. Energy conversion processes related to Syngas chemistry, CO2 activation and conversion, Ammonia synthesis and etc.
Main ongoing projects includes
1. Key project from NSFC on "In situ characterization of catalyst structures and catalytic reactions"
2. NSFC project on "Carbon-based non-metal catalyst for acetyene hydrochlorination for formation of vinyl chloride"
3. NSFC project on "Fundamentals of confined catalysis in carbon nanotubes"
4. MOST project on "Efficient utilization and substitution of Au and Ag nanocatalysts"
Honors and Awards
Chinese Chemical Society-BASF Youth Innovation Prize
Natural Science Award of Liaoning Province
Chinese Academy of Sciences Lvjiaxi Young Talent Award
1. X. Li, X. Pan*, L. Yu, P. Ren, X. Wu, L. Sun, F. Jiao, X. Bao*, Silicon carbide-derived carbon nanocomposite as a substitute for mercury in the catalytic hydrochlorination of acetylene. Nature Commun. 5 (2014) 3688.
2. F. Zhang, X. Pan*, Y. Hu, X. Chen, P. Jiang, X. Bao*, et al., Tuning the redox activity of encapsulated metal clusters via the metallic and semiconducting character of carbon nanotubes. PNAS 110 (2013) 14861-14866.
3. D. Deng, L. Yu, X. Chen, G. Wang, L. Jin, X. Pan*, J. Deng, G. Sun, X. Bao*, Iron Encapsulated within Pod-like Carbon Nanotubes for Oxygen Reduction Reaction. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 52 (2013) 371-375.
4. H.Zhang, X. Pan*, X. Han, X. Liu, X. Wang, W. Shen, X. Bao*, Enhancing chemical reactions in a confined hydrophobic environment: a NMR study of benzene hydroxylation in carbon nanotubes.Chem. Sci. 4 (2013) 1075-1078.
5. X. Pan*, X. Bao*, The effects of confinement inside carbon nanotubes on catalysis.Acc. Chem. Res. 44 (2011) 553-562.
6. Z. Yang, S. Guo, X. Pan*, J. Wang, X. Bao*, FeN nanoparticles confined in carbon nanotubes for CO hydrogenation. Energy Environ. Sci. 4 (2011) 4500-4503
7. D. Deng, X. Pan*,L. Yu, Y. Cui, Y. Jiang, W. Li, Q. Fu, X. Ma, Q. Xue, G. Sun, X. Bao*.Toward N-doped graphene via solvothermal synthesis.Chem. Mater. 23 (2011)1188-1193.
8. D. Deng, X. Pan*, H. Zhang, D. Tan, Q. Fu, X. Bao*. Freestanding Graphene by Thermal Splitting of Silicon Carbide Granules, Adv. Mater.22 (2010) 2168-2171.
9. W. Chen, Z. Fan, X. Pan*, X. Bao*, Effect of Confinement in Carbon Nanotubes on the Activity of Fischer-Tropsch Iron Catalyst, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 130 (2008) 9414-9419.
10. X. Pan, Z. Fan, W. Chen, Y. Ding, H. Luo, X. Bao*, Enhanced Ethanol Production inside Carbon Nanotube Reactors Containing Catalytic Particles, Nature Mater. 6 (2007) 507-511.